The Ontario government is investing $350,000 in Integrated Packaging Films through the Ontario Together Fund to help the company create new jobs and increase the production of PET film by 49 per cent, contributing to the production of almost four million more face shields per month to help keep front line workers safe during the second wave of COVID-19.
The announcement was made today by Mike Harris, MPP for Kitchener-Conestoga, on behalf of Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade.
"Ontario's manufacturing sector has been championing the ongoing fight against COVID-19," said Minister Fedeli. "We are pleased to support companies like Integrated Packaging Films as they increase their capacity to make the supplies and equipment needed to keep communities safe, enhance future preparedness, and while helping to keep our economy open."
Through the Ontario Together Fund, the government is delivering targeted investments that will increase the province's stockpile of Ontario-made products and PPE. This new manufacturing capacity will help the province to combat the current COVID-19 outbreak and prepare for potential challenges in the future, while supporting local businesses during the safe and gradual reopening of the province.
"As a manufacturer of clear plastic sheeting for over 23 years, Integrated Packaging Films is excited to work towards protecting Ontarians against the COVID virus. With the help of the government's Ontario Together Fund, we will increase capacity of clear film and offer Canadian manufacturers locally made materials for fabricating face shields. This expansion will also create several new full time jobs in our Ayr facility." said Bill Mechar, President, Integrated Packaging Films
"When Premier Ford and Minister Fedeli put out the call for companies to produce essential PPE like face shields, Integrated Packaging Films stepped up," said MPP Harris. "This funding will not only go towards increasing Integrated Packaging Films' capacity to produce PET film, it will also support good paying jobs for families in North Dumfries and Waterloo Region."
- The government launched the $50 million Ontario Together Fund to help businesses retool their operations to produce PPE and develop technology-driven solutions and services for businesses to reopen safely.
- Businesses and individuals looking to help in the fight against COVID-19 can submit their proposals through the Ontario Together web portal.
- In October, the government launched Ontario’s Main Street Recovery Plan, which includes a one-time grant of up to $1,000 for eligible main street small businesses — in retail, food and accommodations, and other service sectors — with two to nine employees to help offset the unexpected costs of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- The Workplace PPE Supplier Directory provides businesses with information on personal protective equipment (PPE) suppliers.
- 2020 Ontario Budget, Ontario's Action Plan: Protect, Support, Recover
- Learn more about the Keeping Ontario Safe and Open Framework
- See how your organization can help fight COVID-19
- Information and advice to help your business navigate the economy during COVID-19
- Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19
- Integrated Packaging Films
Business and Economy
Information about Ontario’s economy and how to do business here. Includes economic development opportunities, research funding, tax credits for business and the Ontario Budget. Learn more
Learn about the government services available to you and how government works. Learn more
Jobs and Employment
We’ve got the resource and supports to help connect job seekers with employers. Learn more